20 Ways To Manage Anger Better
1. One of the best ways to cope with and eradicate anger is the daily practice of relaxation. Keep aside an hour or two every single day for the explicit purpose of relaxing one's self will help a lot. A simple way to relax is to lay down, close the eyes and visualize a relaxing scene inside your mind.
2. Anger does not make anything better. Understanding this one fact will help you figure out ways to change your anger into satisfaction. Modify things within your control so that you do not react in anger in the first place. For example, if you feel angry about a friend constantly being late, then plan a list of things to do the next time you meet this friend. So when he or she shows up late you won't mind as much.
3. Go out for a long walk. Or if you have a car then take a long drive. Or hop onto the bus and get off at the last stop. Long walks and rides help us put things in perspective while giving us time to calm down.
4. Let things out. Your emotions must not be locked up inside. Cry, yell, scream, shout, and sob. But for heaven's sake, let it all out. There is nothing worse than emotions that keep building inside us.
5. Write about things that make you angry. Journal Therapy is a wonderful way to let out your emotions and put things in a better light.
6. Put up calming pictures inside your home. Pictures of nature such as the forests, the beaches, the mountains, etc make us feel calmer almost instantly.
7. Seek help from a friend. Speak to a friend for a long time. Let it all out, cry on their shoulder, hold them tight for a long time, let yourself feel better.
8. Work on improving your memory. A little known cause of us getting angry is the simple fact that we rely too much on our memory for many things in everyday life. You will not resort to anger when you remember things better.
9. Play. With your kids, your friends, or peers. If there's no one else to play with then hop on the internet and play a few online games. Games with violence are known to help us let out our anger more quickly.
10. Seek professional help in managing your anger. Visit a counselor and talk to them for an hour. Then visit them again after a week to talk things over with them for another hour. Do this for at least 10 times.
11. Painting helps a lot. Paint things, it don't matter whether you use water or oil colors, just paint. And feel a sense of calm come over you so quickly.
12. Mediation helps a lot. The daily practice of meditation is probably the best way to reduce stress, manage anger and induce a sense of relaxation and calm in one's daily life. I have tried this for many years now and have controlled my anger thanks mostly to Mediation.
13. Watch funny shows on TV or play a comedy movie. Both of these things help in making us laugh, look at the lighter side of things and reduce our anger.
14. Try out sculpture, pottery, or anything where you can play and work with clay, mud, sand, or pebbles. These things are known to induce calm from the stone ages.
15. Know your purpose. When you know what your priorities in life are then the chances of losing your cool is much lesser.
16. Build a strong circle of friends and peers with whom you can hang out with whenever you need to purely have fun and chill. Friends are the best people to go to when you are angry.
17. Rest a lot. Whenever you are angry, rest more often. Just take a break, lay down, close your eyes and nap.
18. Click pictures. Then go through all of them. If this doesn't help then go through old photo albums as well. Keep a set of nature pictures on your phone and computer for easy access at such times.
19. Write yourself a letter. Very similar to Journal Therapy. Except here, you have a direct dialogue with yourself through the written format. Once you are done, burn the letter or tear the paper into little pieces.
20. Avoid speaking or doing anything important when in a state of anger. Take a break. Move out of the danger zone. Rest for a while before you think about how you should react to what made you angry. IF you do this right, you'll often wonder why you got so angry in the first place.
Audio Book Creator. Life Coach. Soft Skills Trainer. Counselor.
Meditation Practitioner. Food Technologist. Frugal Marketer.
More Anger Management