12 Interesting Facts About The Washington Monument
Here is some interesting factual information about the Washington Monument...
1. Washington Monument, an obelisk structure was built in honor of George Washington, who was the Commander in chief of the US army and also the First American President.
2. The construction of this magnificent structure started in 1848 and was completed in 1884 and today stands tall in the National mall and is one of the most famous attractions in Washington DC.
3. This monument is the tallest stone structure in the world made of stone, granite and marble measuring more than 160m in height and weighing more than 90000 tons.
4. Lack of funds and many other factors such as the civil war led to the halt of the construction of this monument for more than 10 years and was resumed in 1877.
5. It was opened first to the public in 1888 and the monument is surrounded by 50 flags representing the states of America.
6. The interiors of the monument consist of more than 180 stones which were contributed by many organizations and countries.
7. The marble used to build the monument was from Maryland and the cost of building the monument came to be more than 1,180,000 dollars.
8. The thickness of the walls is more than 14 inches at the bottom and 15 inches at the top and is one of the major landmarks in the city.
9. Visitors should not miss a chance of touring this famous structure at Washington DC. Tickets are available and one can enjoy spectacular panoramic views of the city from top of the monument.
10. While getting down the Washington monument through the elevators, visitors get a chance to observe the interiors walls making it a memorable and knowledgeable experience.
11. The Washington monument was damaged during the earthquake which occurred in 2011 and hence is at present closed to visitors due to restoration work and is said to open shortly.
12. The Washington Monument is one of the splendid structures in America making it the pride of the capital city of the United States of America.
Content Writer. Counselor. Traveler.
More Osovo Facts