42 Reasons Why I Take A Walk Everyday And You Should Too
Being a person suffering from Hypertension, Diabetes, Obesity and Heart Disease, my life span was greatly reduced due to unhealthy eating habits since childhood.
One of the things that my wife has taught me to do on 4 days of the week is to walk.
Walking is possibly God's Own Exercise and is the best exercise for mankind as well.
Walking is much more preferable than running or jogging because it creates less stress on our joints, including hips, knees, and ankles.
My wife is a fitness freak and Yoga guru. After our marriage, she made sure that I walked every single day.
Working at the computer, writing these blog posts, keeps me stationed at a single spot for long periods of time.
Therefore, inculcating some exercise into my daily schedule was a must.
I started Spot Walking at home along with my wife and little boy so that I could increase my decreased life span and be alive till my 8-year-old son becomes an adult.
Spot Walking can be done in any room of the home and anytime.
Though we usually do it once in the morning when we wake up and once in the evening around an hour after tea.
We do not Spot Walk at home on the days when we go out to the park for a walk.
This way, we still get our daily dose of walking and become healthier too.
I love walking and have lost quite a bit of weight over the years thanks to my many hours of walking.
The objective of this post is to share with you the benefits of walking in the ardent hope that you will start walking every single day for 20 minutes or more.
This is the largest collection of benefits that I've researched and written related to this wonderful topic.
Here are the 42 benefits of walking on a daily basis for 20 to 30 minutes.
1. Walking for 30 minutes on a daily basis is said to decrease the chances of getting a stroke by nearly 50%. This claim has been made by Harvard University so it must have some merit.
2. Walking is a great activity for insomniacs to do since it increases the body temperature through the increased blood circulation. Once you stop walking the temperature starts falling thus making the person feel sleepy. Please take the walk during the evening hours to extract this benefit.
3. Walking strengthens the heart muscles which helps in it pumping blood more efficiently. This in turn increases your life span as a healthy heart usually lives a long life.
4. In my experience as a counselor, I've seen great improvement in the lives of my clients who suffer from depression when they went on a daily walk for 20 odd minutes 4 times a week. Walking kills depression.
5. Walking increases the flow of blood to the brain thus keeping the brain healthy, fit and young as you grow older. This reduces the chances of being affected by memory loss and mental retardation.
6. Walking is a quite activity usually. So it reduces the noise pollution caused by cars and bikes.
7. Walking increases our flexibility. We are able to do daily household chores and tasks more effectively when we are daily walkers.
8. Walking helps you lose weight as it is one of the most effective and safe ways to burn calories inside the human body. Walking for 20 minutes a day, 4 times a week, will help you loose 4 to 8 pounds of weight each year.
9. Walking reduces our daily expenses and saves a lot of money in the long run. Walking rather than going by car saves on thousands of dollars worth of gas in a person's lifetime.
10. Walking during the middle age years helps in being fit during the older years. As it keeps you physically fit and better able to do daily tasks such as cleaning, bathing, and other odd jobs around the home.
11. Walking is one of the most effective ways after Meditation to help clear the mind and enjoy the present moment. It helps lift our spirits on a dull day.
12. Walking helps us be more aware of our body while raising our awareness of our surroundings. It's an excellent activity to practice Mindfulness.
13. Walking is good for our nervous system too. It slows the progression of neuropathy. This is a kind of nerve disease.
14. A daily walk of half an hour can lower the blood pressure of patients suffering from hypertension.
15. A long walk with our kids helps us understand each other better. It also gives us an opportunity to discuss things without directly facing each other which always makes it easier to talk about sensitive issues.
16. Walking need not be done outside the home. What we do during the Monsoon Season is that we Spot Walk in our living room twice a day for 10 minutes each time. This way we don't need to break our habit of walking just because of the weather outside.
17. Walking is also a popular way to meditate. Just focus on your breathing while you walk and you will feel calm, at peace and good after that.
18. Walking at a brisk pace for 20 minutes a day reduces the chances of a person dying by a heart attack. It does this by improving the levels of the good cholesterol and lowering that of the bad cholesterol.
19. Walking releases Endorphins inside our body which is the natural pain killer and mood up-lifter.
20. Standing for too long or being in a seated position for hours at a time causes the blood circulation to be improper inside our body. Walking helps enhance the circulation of blood to all areas of the body thus reducing the chances of getting Varicose veins.
21. A walk a day helps increase our bone mass which is good for our health. It is a far safer way than running to do it too.
22. Walking is a great exercise for pregnant women as it increases the blood circulation without the risk of injury to her and her fetus.
23. Walking is great for our feet muscles. Since we walk using our feet, the leg and thigh muscles get more toned and stronger the more we walk.
24. Anger management is much easier when you take a long walk if you are angry about something. An agitated mind is quietened after a long walk. It always works!
25. Walking is great for diabetics as it helps the body in processing sugar thereby lowering the blood glucose levels.
26. Walking on a daily basis can help minimize bone loss and is therefore effective for the prevention and management of osteoporosis.
27. Practicing mindfulness while walking is a powerful way to get your mind off something stressful or something that's upsetting you at that time.
28. Walking helps relieve Sinusitis by releasing Adrenalin in the body that helps constrict our blood vessels and reduces the swelling in the sinuses.
29. Those suffering from Arthritis will benefit from a daily walk since it boosts the circulation of blood and reduces stiffness in the joints.
30. Walking fights Cellulite as it boosts the circulation of lymph in the body which would usually be turned into fats in the tissues.
31. Walking improves our thinking process, makes us more confident, gives us a heightened sense of well-being, makes us feel good about ourselves, and gives us the energy to tackle the day with relative ease.
32. Walking reduces air pollution since we do not pollute the environment when we walk to places instead of taking a bike or a car.
33. Walking improves not just your physical fitness but also your brain fitness. Since it increases the circulation of blood to the brain. I have found that I am mentally more alert and present when I have taken a brisk walk around the home.
34. Walking makes us happier and reduces stress, anger, depression and other such negative emotions. When you're feeling sad, angry or blue then just take a long walk.
35. The skin and bones are developed while walking. It gives our skin a glow due to the proper circulation of blood in our body.
36. Walking is not just an exercise but helps us make friends at the park and get closer to our loved ones if we walk along with them everyday.
37. The doctors always tell us "Take a walk daily" as it is one of safest, cheapest and best ways to lose weight, stay fit and be active. Walking burns lots of calories. A simple 20-minute walk burns off 200 calories.
38. When you walk for 30 minutes a day then you are increasing your life span, enhancing your heart health and making your state of mind a lot better. A minute's walk will add 2 minutes to your life span. This is how powerful walking is as an exercise.
39. Walking tones all the muscles of the legs, arms, back and heart. This is a good thing since it greatly reduces the risk of back, abdominal, and other bodily pains associated with people who do not move about during the day.
40. Walking helps you become a happier person. It's proven that people who walk everyday are happier than those who don't. You will rarely find a person feeling sad when they are walking in the park. It's both the greenery in the park and the walking itself that causes this.
41. Walking is a powerful way to think of fresh and new ideas. So I often do it myself when I am brainstorming and thinking about a new topics to write posts about on Osovo.
42. Walking is an excellent activity for kids to do as it reduces the risk of early diabetes and heart disease.
So, there you have it, the 42 wonderful benefits of walking. I am pretty sure you are now keen on going for a walk. Please remember to properly warm up before and cool down after every walking session. Do not walk after eating a meal. Wait for an hour or more before you start walking.
The best time to walk is when the sun is not out. Thus the early morning and late evening hours are the best.
Walking is a miracle exercise with so many benefits given to us for free. Also we can do it almost anytime, anywhere.
I am making my way off this post on Osovo as I feel the need to go on a long walk now. Do share this post with your friends and family so they can realize how cool walking is. See you soon. Goodbye!
Audio Book Creator. Life Coach. Soft Skills Trainer. Counselor.
Meditation Practitioner. Food Technologist. Frugal Marketer.
More Health Benefits